Last time I posted an initial review about Converge FiberX 1500 in Cavite and mentioned that their router isn’t the coolest router provided to us by an internet service provider that’s why it needs a little boost. That boost is to buy a Tenda AC11 (AC1200) MU-MIMO router that I can use to manage the WiFi distribution here at home.
Since I got the router and the Ethernet cable I purchased from Lazada, it’s about time to share a review. This is to let you guys know whether the internet we got from Converge is maximized to it’s fullest after having this WiFi router or no improvement at all.
Just be aware that this post is not sponsored but has some affiliate links that will give me a small earning if you use it to purchase the item. Thank you in advance for those who will use it and for those who will continue to support this blog.
Shipping Experience for this item
I’m so happy that this Wi-Fi router I ordered came in too early than the estimated delivery date. I ordered it on May 7 and got it on May 12 instead of May 22. The item was ordered overseas that’s why it took some time. But this is the cheapest among all the listed item of the same brand and model. But it didn’t disappoint me because I received it 10 days earlier. There are some sellers that are based in the Philippines but they have a higher price.
It’s also available on Amazon:
It was delivered without bubble wrap and there are some tiny scratches on the pouch but the item is secured on its box. Thanks to the somehow-good-box of this TendaAC11(AC1200) MU-MIMO Smart Wi-Fi, it didn’t have any damage.
Tenda AC1200 is not the model
I tried to scan the mall and some networking peripheral shops near me and I couldn’t find the same model. They kept on telling me that they have is a Tenda AC1200. For routers you may see this “AC1200”, just so you know, that is not the model number. It is the total maximum bandwidth of the router. Which means a router with AC1200 can handle up to 1200 Mbps Wi-Fi bandwidth (300M bps for 2.4 GHz and up to 900 Mbps for 5 GHz). So the model of what I’ve got is Tenda AC11 and the router that the local shops have is Tenda AC6 which happens to be AC1200 as well.
That can lead you to buy a different model if I don’t share this info so hope that this part helps.
Tenda AC11 (AC1200) Specs
Features I like about Tenda AC11:
- 6dBi Antenna – It really improved the Wi-Fi reach across the house. Even the farthest room at home can detect the Wi-Fi and downstairs.
- MU-MIMO and Dual-band – I and my husband loves playing games online while the rest of the people at home loves streaming videos or movies on our TV. This feature helps maximize our speed distribution at home.
- Bandwidth Control – Aside from the MU-MIMO technology, this bandwidth control also helps me control the speed of download and upload of anyone connected on our network.
- Guest Network – My sister and kids usually visit us every week and her kids always watch on their devices too. So I connect them to a guest network which has a bandwidth control as well. Apparently, I noticed that you can’t modify the name of the device connected thru the guest network. At the same time, I set it on 2Mbps speed but it seems that the download speed is the only affected by the setting. But the good thing here is you can set the duration when the guest network is active.
- Beamforming – This feature allows you to concentrate the signal of your Wi-Fi towards the antennas direction. Just so you know most Wi-Fi routers have omnidirectional antennas.
- Tenda has a mobile app – I like that they have an app for this and you can register for an account if you want to remotely control your Wi-Fi. You can still be able to control wifi when connected to Tenda’s network if you don’t want to register. Having an app makes it more convenient for me to scare the kids to do their chores otherwise will turn-off their Wi-Fi. Hahaha!
- LAN speed – This router has Gigabit WAN, which means it can receive up to 1Gbps speed from your ISP modem but most Gigabit routers can only send up to 100Mbps speed from router to PC. Good news, this router support up to 200 Mbps LAN speed. If you’re confused WAN port is where your router receives the internet connection while LAN port is where your router sends internet to your device like PC.
- Very easy to set-up. Actually, I’ll be posting how to set this up tomorrow since what I’ve got doesn’t have an English Manual.
Features that are missing on this router
- No USB port – Just in case you wanted a router that supports USB, this one doesn’t support it.
- No Power Button – This device has a reset button but I can’t find a power button. There’s a reboot option on the router settings and on app anyway or just unplug it.
Router operation mode:
- Router – LAN to WAN via Ethernet Cable (Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE)
- WISP – extends the WiFi signals of ISPs like CMCC, China Unicom, and ChinaNet.
- Universal Repeater – Connect to a Wi-Fi network to extend the signal.
- AP – often used for wireless network coverage in hotels and SMEs.
For home users like me, you most likely gonna use 1 or 3. As for me, I’m using it as a Router with Dynamic IP because I have an Ethernet cable and we have several users at home. With Dynamic IP, your router will automatically assign IP for your devices. If you don’t have Ethernet cables you can simply use the 3rd mode. On my next post, I’ll share how to set up the router mode and universal repeater mode.
Was there improvement with our Wi-Fi after using this Tenda AC11 router?
I can definitely say that our internet had great improvement. Our ping when playing while everyone is streaming HD videos are still low and no one’s getting any buffers after controlling the bandwidth of each device we have. I now turned off the Wi-Fi broadcasting of our old router from our ISP Converge ICT.
Here are some screenshots comparison of the ping test we had on both routers:
As you can see on the screenshots the ping test on Tenda looks more stable than the other one.
Don’t judge a product just because it’s on Chinese label
I can attest that this item I got is legit and original because it works perfectly and all tools from Tenda like the mobile app works with this device. The only thing you may be worried about after buying this is how to set up. That’s why I’ll be sharing a guide on how to set this up on my next post. Please subscribe or follow me on social media for updates.
Product Image Gallery from Lazda
Subscribe and follow us on Social Media
Become a Patron!
or click here to send me Ko-fi